Friday, June 21, 2013

The Night Circus, by Erin Morganstern

I loved this book! First & foremost I loved the style of the writing, so I hope we get another Erin Morgenstern release sometime in the not-too-dim-&-misty future because I will read the hell out of that. Without giving away too much plot I think this book is best described as Ray Bradbury meets Catherynne M. Valente -- beautifully poetic writing, descriptions that appeal to all of the senses, & nostalgic imagery, with a plot that is a sort of modern (well; late 19th century) fairy tale. The characters are carefully crafted and their relationships & interactions are believable and convincing while also subverting your expectations just enough to feel original & refreshing. It's so rare that a love story doesn't make me want to throw up a little, & Celia maybe the best written heroine I have read in a long, long time. I almost couldn't put this book down & that almost never happens to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment